Friday, April 24, 2009

Flash Forward to the Future...

Maddy's beloved "Cousint Clara" is having her sixth birthday party on Sunday. It is a wedding party. A REAL Wedding party involving wedding dresses, cakes and all the trappings. Maddy and I found this ridiculously beautiful dress at Winners a little more than a month ago, and it has been hanging in Daddy's closet under lock and key with and armed guard ever since. Okay, okay, not really locked, and no guard, but strict instructions to NOT TOUCH until the big wedding day. Looking and sighing were fine, and were carried out on a weekly basis.
I decided to try my hand at making a veil to complete Maddy's bridal outfit. I had visions of a lovely, flowing white veil cascading off of Maddy's locks, nicely edged in satin, perhaps with some glitter... instead, I used the stuff from her princess party, chopped it off and wrapped an elastic onto it. Simple, stays where it is put, and REALLY easy to make. Also beautiful, according to Little Miss. All you need is tulle, scissors, a white elastic, and enough hair to twist into said elastic. Voila! A veil. Then, of course, we had to see how it all looked on. 
Whew. I had a moment, as I looked at my six year old daughter through the lens of my camera, that it seemed so very, very wrong, for an instant.  She looked too old, too sophisticated, somehow.  I lowered my camera to tell her that we had enough shots, and she stuck her tongue out at me. Yup... she is still my little girl. And will be for a long long time. And on her wedding day, should she decide to marry, I will bring out these pictures to show her how her ideal at 6 is different and the same as her ideal at 40. (I can hope, right??)
Incidentally, if any of you remember my absolutely gorgeous wedding dress, you may note some of the similarities between what Maddy chose, and what I chose that day.

Showing off the beautiful, long veil...
The beads on the waist...
What am I doing?
Bridezilla!

2 comments:

Laura and Ryan said...

Okay, that first picture of her is so cute! What a poser!! :D

Laura and Ryan said...

Okay lady!! Time for a new post!! :)