Friday, April 10, 2009

Easter Egg fun, part one

Easter is upon us, and this year, what with homeschooling, and being all organized, I actually remembered to hard-boil eggs for the kids to decorate. I even bought a nifty kit for them to use, which includes several permanent dyes. (Not that I am concerned about my kids and permanent color. Why would I be?) For our homeschool art stuff this week we made some fun little bunnies and chicks, which we then used to decorate the house. The Easter Bunnies plan was to have an outdoor egg hunt this year, but it seems as though the weather thinks that is a terrible idea. Being as how it is supposed to monsoon on Sunday morning. So I had all these plastic eggs that the Bunny was going to stick the chocolates in, and nothing to do with them.  I was cruising one of my favorite craft sites, and saw that the big plastic eggs could be put to good use~ AS EGGS!! Anyhow... with some felt, a *low - temp glue gun, some sharpies (shout out to Bill!) and a whack of pipe cleaners... Dean and I created. And created and created and created! Enjoy the fruits, er, eggs, of our labor!


Cutest little piglet ever! He even has a corkscrew tail made out of a pink pipe-cleaner
Arrrr, me hearties! This one was special for Seb!
This is Dean's Indiana Egg. Note the detailing of his vest, and satchel.
Must have the crooked grin, stubble, and of course, the coiled rope!
Squeak! Squeak! Mouse (NOT PIG)
The greenest cat ever invented!

I love doing the eggs this way. Way more fun (for me) than those stinky, messy dyes, that NEVER look like that ones in the Martha Stewart magazine. Whenever I try to combine colors, everything turns out muddy brown. These eggs are easy! And look so cute! And next year, I will already have started my decorating!


*low - temp glue gun is seriously hot. I have many, many, many burns on my fingers from this supposed "low - temp" thing. I'd hate to see the high - temp one!

No comments: